RICHARD NIELL DONOVAN has been publishing SermonWriter since 1998. He is a retired Disciples of Christ clergyman.
Dick served 26 years as a U.S. Army chaplain, including four years as the Homiletics Officer for the U.S. Army Chaplain Board, where he was charged with improving preaching in the Army. He has also served as pastor of several civilian congregations.
Dick is married to Dale Kathleen Donovan. They have two children––a son, David, who works for Amazon––and a daughter, Liz, a graphic designer who is also a certified white water rafting guide and a snowboard instructor. She hiked the 2650 mile Pacific Crest Trail in 2015.
DICK’S EDUCATION includes the following:
• Manhattan Bible College (Now Manhattan Christian College), B.A., 1962
• Christian Theological Seminary, Indianapolis, M.Div., 1966
• Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Hospital Chaplaincy Workshop, 1970
• U.S. Army Chaplain Center and School Advanced Chaplain’s Course, Fort Wadsworth, 1976
• Air War College, Maxwell AFB, 1984
• Long Island University (Brooklyn campus), B.A. (Guidance & Counseling), 1976 (in conjunction with the Advanced Course at the chaplain’s school.)
• University of Utah, M.B.A., 1976 (Dick worked on the M.B.A. for three years at Homestead AFB, Florida, and took one course in 1975-76 at Pace University in New York to complete the program).
• Princeton Theological Seminary, Th.M. (emphasizing preaching and worship), 1981
• Numerous short courses, seminars, and workshops
• The School of Hard Knocks, 1940-Present (Very useful. Don’t knock it!)