A Quiet Power
Check out these helpful resources
A Quiet Power
By Lois Parker Edstrom
What comes to your mind when you think of something powerful? Let’s list a few of our ideas:
• A jet engine is powerful. It lifts and carries planes through the sky.
• The wind is powerful. It turns windmills and sometimes causes large waves to form in the ocean.
• A horse is powerful. It can run for long distances and some horses pull heavy loads.
• Electricity is powerful. It lights our houses and towns.
• The engine of a train is powerful. It can pull a long line of railroad cars.
Many of the powerful things that come to mind are also noisy. In the Bible we read about a quiet kind of power.
Jesus met with his disciples, as he prepared to go to heaven to be with God, and he told them, “… you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you…” (1:8).
Jesus wanted his disciples to know that after he left, God would send the Holy Spirit to be with them.
The Holy Spirit is God’s Spirit that lives within us when we accept God’s love. The Holy Spirit comforts us when we are feeling sad, it teaches us right from wrong, and it helps us know God’s love. The Holy Spirit gives us confidence. It is the quiet power that lives within each one of us.
Scripture quotations from the World English Bible
Copyright 2010, Richard Niell Donovan